Share this Project
The station house was constructed as an updated office and residential (berthing) facility for the U.S. Coast Guard Cape Cod Canal Station following the demolition of the original facility at a site nearby with the widening of the Cape Cod Canal in 1936. The new facility provided space for the central administrative and social support functions of the station following a standard Colonial Revival-styled module employed elsewhere by the Coast Guard for similar facilities during the period. At least one other identical station has been located (Montauk, Long Island, New York). Similar-styled station houses exist in the region, including station houses at Block Island (New Harbor) and Point Judity, RI. and were built under federal New Deal WPA/PWS initiatives during the 1935-37 period. These buildings collectively represent the early 20th century function of the Coast Guard’s lifesaving stations along the New England coast.
Email us for more info about our Construction Scheduling Services